Winnipeg Events & Attractions
Where the best of Winnipeg meets the best of Holiday Inn!
As the gateway to the western provinces and capital of Manitoba, Winnipeg is a bustling city of almost 700,000 that is rich in history, awash in natural beauty and alive with a vibrant culture. Discovering the most alluring parts of this great Canadian city can be best experienced when you make Holiday Inn Winnipeg South your starting point. Only minutes away from our hotel you'll find a vast choice of cultural and historical attractions, outdoor recreation, superb dining, shopping and so much more
Perfectly situated the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South has so many exciting entertainment opportunities, including Canada's largest concentration of restaurants per capita and a rich variety of world-class theatre, music, dance, sports and visual arts exhibitions that everyday can be a new adventure.
Explore scenic waterways and superb city parks. Savour every moment in a city of surprises, history, hospitality and great fun. Here's a small sampling of the world of wonder that Winnipeg offers!
Cirque du Soleil - KURIOUS - Cabinet of Curiosities
The magic of the circus is coming to Winnipeg! KURIOS - Cabinet of Curiosities is coming to Winnipeg under the Big Top on Kenaston at Sterling Lyon from June 2 to 25, 2017. The KURIOUS is a show of mystery and fantasy where we are taken into the curio cabinet of an ambitious inventor who defies the laws of time, space and dimension in order to reinvent everything around him. Our perceptions are transformed turning the visible into the invisible and the world turns literally upside down. A family friendly show not to be missed.
Canada's newest national museum!
Let the Canadian Museum for Human Rights will take you on a journey of inspiration unlike anything you’ve experienced before. From the moment you enter through its massive stone roots, to the time you emerge in its light-filled Tower of Hope, you will be moved by the power of human rights. Canada’s newest national museum rises from the prairie earth in Winnipeg. The only museum in the world solely devoted to human rights awareness and education, it stands as a beacon for visitors from around the globe. Ramps of glowing alabaster criss-cross galleries designed to challenge, motivate and uplift. Multi-sensory exhibits explore human rights concepts with an international scope, but through a uniquely Canadian lens. An amazing encounter with human rights awaits families, tourists and scholars alike.
The Assiniboine Park Zoo - Journey to Churchill Exhibit
The Assiniboine Park & Zoo $90-million attraction that spans four hectares has opened its door to the Journey of Churchill Conservation Centre.
The attraction features multiple viewing areas to see the zoo’s four polar bears, two harbour seals, five wolves, three muskoxen, four arctic foxes, four snowy owls and three caribou. The Sea Ice Passage, a 21.3-metre acrylic tunnel surrounded by water, is the highlight of the exhibit as it allows visitor to walk through and view polar bears swimming above and on both sides.
When visiting the exhibit take part with the many interactive elements, such as a bowhead whale dig, the Churchill Northern Studies Shelter and there is a 360-degree domed theatre called the Aurora Borealis Theatre that shows a short film about the Churchill area, wildlife and the seasons through the eyes of an indigenous family with a strong message of respect and conservation.
Surrounding each of the three parts of the exhibit -- Wapusk Lowlands, Gateway to the Arctic and Churchill coast -- are interpretive signage, interactive displays and audio-visual components.
Ikea Winnipeg is only minutes from the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South hotel. This 390,000-square-foot store, is one of the largest in Canada and hosts the largest kids' playground of any Ikea location. Look For the big blue and yellow building near Sterling Lyon Parkway and Kenaston Boulevard.
The Forks National Historic Site
This four season home of exciting and fun special events, heritage theatre and walking tours has something for the whole family. A few of the attractions are the Johnston Terminal, a restored warehouse building housing shops, specialty boutiques & restaurants, the Forks Market featuring fresh food & family fun in a bright, exciting setting. Other features include a Riverwalk along the banks of the historic Red and Assiniboine Rivers plus the Manitoba Children’s Museum, Skateboard Plaza, the Manitoba Travel Idea Centre, the Manitoba Theatre for Young People and tons of shopping such as Johnson Terminal Antique mall, Kite and Kaboodle, Mystic Scents, Pulse Gallery and Sugar Mountain Express.
St. Vital Centre
Manitoba’s premier shopping destination, featuring more than 160 shops and services including the Hudson’s Bay Company, Sears, Wal-Mart, London Drugs, Chapters, Famous Player’s Silver City, plus an extensive food court.
Kenaston & McGillivray Retail Power Centre
This ever expanding retail area features many stores such as Wal-mart, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Rona, Home Outfitters, Sobey’s, Canada Safeway, Payless Shoes, The Source, Reitmans, Costco, Cabela’s, Ikea and other retailers, as well as other services and restaurant options. Located less than 10 minutes from the hotel at the corner of McGillivray Avenue and Kenaston Boulevard.
Polo Park Shopping
The province’s largest shopping centre, Polo Park boasts 200 of the finest shops and services including several which are not available anywhere else in the city. Flooded with natural sunlight, the expansive walkways are complemented by comfortable seating areas and a spacious 14-outlet Food Gallery with two adjoining restaurants. The centre offers two additional restaurants, two home fashion stores and a SilverCity Cinema on the perimeter of the 5,600 vehicle parking lot.
Blue Bombers Football
The hotel is also conveniently located near Investors Group Field football stadium. This facility is the home of CFL Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the University of Manitoba Bisons football team.
Entertainment & Sports
- Burton Cummings Theatre
- Centennial Concert Hall
- Club Regent Casino
- Gas Station Arts Centre
- Investors Group Field
- Manitoba Moose – American Hockey League
- Manitoba Opera
- Manitoba Theatre for Young People (MTYP)
- McPhillips Station Casino
- Bell MTS Centre
- Pan Am Pool
- Prairie Theatre Exchange
- Rainbow Stage
- RBC Winnipeg Convention Centre
- Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre (MTC)
- Royal Winnipeg Ballet
- Rumor’s Restaurant and Comedy Club
- Springhill Winter Sports Park
- The Park Theatre – Winnipeg's Premier Event Venue
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers – Canadian Football League
- Winnipeg Goldeyes – Northern League Baseball
- Winnipeg Jets – National Hockey League
- Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra
- Storytelling Festival - January
- New Music Festival - January
- Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra - January
- Sun Dog Storytelling Festival - February
- Festival du Voyageur - February
- Winnipeg Scottish Festival - May
- Festival Théâtre Jeunesse - May
- Teddy Bears Picnic - June
- Winnipeg International Children's Festival - June
- Winnipeg International Airshow - June
- Winnipeg MCC Festival & Relief Sale - June
- Hoop It Up - June
- Jazz Winnipeg Festival - June
- Red River Exhibition - June
- Scottish Heritage Festival - June
- Winnipeg Family Kite Festival - June
- A Taste of Manitoba - July
- Folk Festival - July
- Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival - July
- The Pooh Friendship Day Festival - July
- Folklorama - August
- Heart of the Continent Fair - August
- Manitoba Dragon Boat Festival - August
- Red River Celtic Festival - October
- Winnipeg International Writers Festival - October
- Festival des films francophones au Manitoba - November
- Manitoba Hydro Power Smart Festival of Light Parade - November
Museums, Attractions & Art Galleries
- Adrenalin Adventure
- Assiniboia Downs – Race Track
- Assiniboine Park & Zoo
- Cabela’s Canada
- Dalnavert Museum
- Exchange District
- Fort Whyte Alive
- Grand Prix Amusements
- Ikea Winnipeg
- Kenaston Common Shopping Centre
- Lower Fort Garry National Historic Site
- Manitoba Children’s Museum
- Manitoba Human Rights Museum
- Manitoba Museum
- Oak Hammock Marsh Interpretive Centre
- Polo Park Shopping Centre
- Red River Co-op Speedway
- Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada
- Royal Canadian Mint
- Sky Zone Trampoline Park
- Speedworld Indoor Kart Track
- St. Vital Shopping Centre
- The Forks Market
- The Golf Dome
- The Great Big Adventure
- Thermea Spa
- Thunder Rapids
- Tinkertown Family Fun Park
- Triple B's
- University of Manitoba
- U-Puttz Amusement Centre
- Vertical Adventures
- Winnipeg Art Gallery